My First Month at Holy Cross

October 5th, 2015 grdima19

My name is Gianna DiMaiolo and I am a freshman at Holy Cross! I live in Mulledy, the biggest (and best) freshman dorm.

Some HC humor from the library.

This first month has  been absolutely amazing. I wish I could go back in time and tell my 9th grade self that college is not the terrifying enigma I thought it once was. Here are my top three favorite things about college so far:

1. Classes

All Holy Cross students take four classes. This semester I am in Russian Literature, TV Sitcom, Italian 101 and my Monserrat, which focuses on fantasy literature. Though I feel insanely lucky to be able to read stories by J.R.R Tolkien and C.S. Lewis, my favorite part of my Monserrat class is my Professor, Father Gavin. I have his class every Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday, and every Thursday he always has us do something fun. Last week we had to write speeches, and the week before that we had to solve riddles. Father Gavin also brings us donuts every other week to compensate for being an 8:00 am class, which is pretty sweet.

You’re probably wondering what my TV Sitcom class is. It fulfills a common core for art, and it is my favorite class. We watch different sitcoms, beginning in the 1950s with I Love Lucy. Other than being an excuse to watch TV, my class discusses essential elements of the sitcom and comedy, as well as myths and stereotypes portrayed on TV.

Some of the books I've been reading this semester.

Some of the books I’ve been reading this semester.

I am really enjoying Russian Literature and Italian 101, the latter being my most challenging class this semester. I have to study Italian everyday in order to keep up with it. Whenever I get frustrated, I think of my Dad. He moved from Italy to Bridgeport, CT when he was seven years old, and he was able to learn perfect english; if he could do it, so can I. I have an Italian exam this Tuesday– wish me luck!

2. Activities

Holy Cross was not exaggerating when they told us there is A LOT to do on campus. I am currently participating in the Alternative College Theatre’s production of The Underpants by Steve Martin. The show focuses a young woman named Louise. One day her underpants fall down, and comedic chaos ensues. I play Gertrude, her gossip-loving neighbor. This show is so ridiculous and hilarious– I am so lucky to be apart of it as a freshman. That reminds me, I should really start memorizing my lines…

I also do a lot of writing. Other than this blog, I write satirical articles for The Crusader, Holy Cross’ newspaper. My article, focusing on Trump in the September debate, was published in the first issue!

Article

Like the nerd I am, I have proudly cut out and stuck my article to my bulletin board.

I have also recently joined the Odyssey, which is the college equivalent to Buzzfeed. I have yet to submit an article though– please feel free to suggest a topic!

3. Friends

The people here at Holy Cross are so nice, so meeting new people those first couple days was not a problem. First of all, there’s meeting your roommate. I’m really lucky, because my roommate is like the best person for me to live with; she’s so nice and really chill about all roomie things. I also bonded with the people I met in my Orientation group. We were called the Clark Corgis (all the orientation groups have cute names like that), and we’ve pretty much stuck together. One night when we were hanging out, we noticed that there were three guys and three girls, so we decided we were like the characters on Friends. 

From left to right: Chandler, Monica, Joey, Rachel, Ross, and Phoebe

However, you meet fun and interesting people everyday: chemistry majors and english majors, Texans and Chicagoans, liberals, conservatives, and fellow Mindy Kaling lovers. Meeting a variety of people who share my interests and also have completely unique points of view has been one my favorite things about college.

That’s been my first month so far! You will all be hearing from me soon.